Monday, September 1, 2008

Missing the Ultra-Thin point

I just read this article on ZDnet: I don't think Mr. Murphy is really hitting the point.

1) Sun Ray's aren't good at everything
2) Sun Ray's are Great at somethings (This beg's the question of #1, but I thought I would say it for completeness)
3) Most corporations have at least 50% of there people using desktop's
4) Desktop's are expensive to manage. (Regardless of OS)
5) Managing desktops is easier to do centrally. (Regardless of the OS)

Hence, an Ultra-Thin type of client is easier and cheaper to manage if it's centralized.

Is Sun Ray's the only answer? NO. Is it AN answer? YES.

Want to run Citrix on a Sun Ray, No Problem, Want to RDP to a Windows Term Server, No Problem. In my humble opinion, this is what makes Sun Rays such a great solution, flexibility.

No comments: