Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sun Unified Storage 7000

I was at an internal training all week last week and didn't get a chance to talk about our new Storage products.  I know, I know, Stop laughing.  And yes I did say Storage products.  And no, they are not OEM'ed and YES they do work.

Don't believe me.  Try it out yourself.  Go here and download the VMWare image and run it on your laptop or vmware farm.

Let me know what you think.  I started the VMWare image and it asked me for a password, so I gave it, and it booted up.  I entered the website it gave me, and logged in with root and then the password I gave it.  No issues.  I then added the 15 x2GB drives that it came setup with and created a pool.  After that I added a mount point and shared out an NFS point that I was writing to it on my MAC SWEET.

Then I, started writing data to it to see how that dashboard and anyalitics worked.  It was awesome, as I could see which files were being written to and how long it took just at a glance. 

Don't beleive me, try it for yourself.  It's only a 500MB download.

Did you miss the annoucement?

One great review is here

A quote from the peice, which is my favorite so far:

At the same time, the new capabilities offered with products like
the Sun 7000-series storage appliances are paving the way for new takes
on old ideas, such as video-on-demand. Let's just say that a 48TB 7210
can store quite a few HD movies, and there's no such thing as an
overabundance of scratch space when working with audio and video
projects.

So, in the immortal words of Kent Brockman, I, for one, welcome our new storage overlords.







T

No comments: